Tuesday, December 9, 2008

One of these days, I just might

Sometimes when I'm riding the subway I find myself day dreaming that I get up in the middle of the crowded train and start rapping along with whatever Tupac/Dre/Biggie jam is playing on my iPod.

It's all very movie like: I get up and I'm totally into it and rapping my ass off while everyone on the train is looking at each other like "who the hell is this little white chick trying to drop rhymes? Psshhh, whateva." But a few verses in they are all clapping and yelling and cheering me on like a scene from 8 Mile. Maybe even a few of the video-hoe looking ones are helping out with the chorus. It always ends with the passengers looking at each other like, "oh snap! we just served by baby guurl!" and in true gangsta fashion I kiss my two fingers as I peace-out and step off the train without ever looking back.

I fucking love that!

Anyways, I was in the middle of that scene last night while listening to Nothin but a "G" Thang and everything was going according to plan until I got to the line "Well I'm peepin', and I'm creepin', and I'm creep-in
But I damn near got caught, 'cause my beeper kept beepin'." It made me realize that not all old school hip-hop is as timeless as I like to think. Who the hell uses a beeper? More over, who raps about having one?

I guess I remember when beepers were cool and the hottest new gadget but Jesus, Dre, you *had* to know that wouldn't last forever. What a shame they can't all be universally cool themes like "who gives a fuck about hoes? So just chill, 'til the next episode..."

1 comment:

Jose said...

I see it like this: You're rapping G Thang and you say "we don't love them hoes, I'm out the do'" as you step off the train holding a peace sign up in the air so the other passengers can see it as you walk away like a true G while some little old lady carries the hook, like "Rollin' down the street, smokin'..." and when she gets to "laaaid back", she leans back to her old man boyfriend just as he says "with my mind on my money and my money on my mind." So gangsta, Bella. I dig the subway rap show...FOR sho.